Saturday, August 9, 2008

Update

yes, it's been a while. Only two days remain of my life in the Bronx. It's hard to believe how quickly this time has passed.

To give you a quick update:
-We had our last Power Hour on Friday night... I'm so glad we were able to get to know those kids and I will miss our time there. I'm sure living in the projects is difficult in a lot of ways, but it was encouraging to see the community they had already built at their age. I'm also glad to say that I gained a pen-pal! Her name is Amber and she is one of the most intriguing eleven year olds I have ever met!
-Today, Bronx Fellowship held a booth at a neighborhood block-party called RapFest '08. Christian rappers gathered to spread their music and the word of God. This event was geared towards net-working with other Christians in the Bronx community, as well as reaching out to the teens that were there. This was definitely an "out of the box" experience for me and I really enjoyed it.
-Tomorrow we are holding a V.B.S. in the New York Botanical Gardens, and we are going to be focusing on the importance of prayer! Pray for good weather
-random: Heath's new nickname is 'Chewbacca'... given to him by a three year old that attends my house church

I must say that I've enjoyed my time here in the Bronx. That would probably surprise most of the locals, and I definitely haven't experienced a normal lifestyle up here. Yet, I would like to say that I've come pretty close. I've learned that we are all broken people, we've all got problems, and we all need Jesus. Being here has made me realize what a wonderful community I have back in Abilene; I want to make the most of the time I have left there and dive into those relationships. Community is such a blessing.

For entertainment or learning purposes, I have many stories to tell from my time here in the Bronx... most have some type of redeeming quality. I've learned that Southern kindness/hospitality can be misunderstood up here.

I'll post a few more pictures from V.B.S. and RapFest here in the next few days! Hopefully I'll be able to see some of you when I come home this next week. Thanks again for your support and prayers! I love you all

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

can't wait to see pictures, I bet the Rapfest was an interesting 'once in a lifetime' experience!